Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Basic Hummus

Since I stopped dairy, Hummus has been my best friend! It saved me from many cravings and really helped me through my transition.

I absolutely love chickpeas! We use it quiet often at home not just to make hummus but for many other recipes. I love adding chickpeas to salads, making falafels and curry's with them. I also like to turn the chickpeas into flour with my blender to use the flour to make tortillas, crackers, guiltless treats and pizza crusts.

As I have mentioned before in my "chickpea mini pizza" post, the nutritional benefits of chickpeas are many. They are filled with fibre, high in protein, provide many essential vitamins and minerals. Chickpeas makes you feel full, boosts digestion, balances healthy cholesterol levels, protects against heart diseases and stabilises sugar levels.

This Hummus recipe honestly can not be easier! I sometimes add a bit of a steamed beetroot to make it into pink hummus or a bit of a steamed pumpkin to make it into orange hummus. It gives it a bit of a unique taste and is always nice to please children and guests :)




Recipe 
1/2 cup of boiled chickpeas
1 TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP tahini (check out the benefits of tahini in my Quinoa, Tofu & Avocado Veggie Bowl with Tahini Dressing blog post)
2 limes (juice)
A few pinches of himalayan/sea salt (to your taste)
1/2 tsp cumin
2 TBSP of water (sometimes needed to make it creamer and sometimes skipped)


Put all the ingredients in a blender


Blend for around 2-3 minutes. You might need to add water in intervals until it reaches to your desired consistency.


My favourite way to enjoy them is with my sweet potato chips, buckwheat bread or vegetable sticks. You can even add them to any meal to make it tastier :D

 
I hope you enjoy this Basic Hummus recipe as much as we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment